FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Registration related questions
Yes. FORS will send you a confirmation e-mail when payment has arrived. The application is conditional until reception of the payment within 5 weeks. If the payment has not arrived within the five weeks, you will receive a reminder e-mail. Note that we will only send a single reminder. If you do not pay within the deadline specified in the reminder e-mail, your application will be cancelled without further notice.
You can apply for the reduced fee if you are student (any level: bachelor, master, PhD, post-doctoral). You need to send proof of your student status, copy of a (valid) student id, letter of recommendation from your supervisor, or any document that shows that you are currently as student. To whom do I need to send a recommendation letter for the reduced fee ? Ask your supervisor to send a recommendation letter either by postal mail to FORS or e-mail to the Summer School director.
- During the first period (the first six to twelve weeks after registration opens, i.e. February to April/May, later for less popular workshops) up to 25% of the registrants cancel or are removed, for one of the following reasons:
- Registrants are unable to get funding to attend the Summer School.
- A number of participants cancel for personal reasons (changing plans).
- Not paying the fee in time despite a reminder e-mail. There are up to 10% of registrants (especially from outside Europe) who apply, but we never hear from them again, except sometimes an e-mail requesting financial aid, we cannot offer.
If you register early and are placed on a waiting list, chances are quite good for you to attend. If you are still on the waiting list after late April/early May, chances to attend are decreasing.
- As the Summer School approaches, cancellations are usually linked to much rarer, unforeseen events (personal life). (A late cancellation implies that the workshop fees are not reimbursed, fully or partially). [See Cancellation rules]
If you consider using Summer School workshops to obtain credits (ECTS), you will have to investigate at your home institution (contact the person/institute responsible for your degree) to find out whether they recognize the Summer School, how many credits can be earned from a workshop/course with roughly 35 hours of teaching, no graded work, and no exams. (We only deliver a Certificate of attendance, i.e. we certify your
Make sure to investigate this matter before registering, if this is important to you.