Since 2009 some of the questions from the individual SHP questionnaire are no longer asked annually. For questions to which the answers change only little over time (such as religious affiliation, political attitudes etc.) a special rotation system has been implemented (see table below). We make a distinction between three types of modules (1) questions that are only asked once (usually during the first interview), (2) questions that are asked in every wave and (3) questions that are asked regularly but not yearly. The latter type of modules, gradually assessed and revised, include the following topics: leisure & culture, social networks, politics, social participation, psychological variables and religion.
The table below shows the rotation system in the SHP:
The revision of the modules is done in cooperation with experts on the topics in question. This revision includes a thorough relevance check of the variables, some adaptations (if necessary) as well as the introduction of new variables. The rotation system allows us to include new questions without extending the duration of the interviews.
2015, wave 17
New variables in SHP I, II and III:
- Big Five 15: In 2015, we used a new version of the Big Five, composed of 15 items (P15C140-P15C154).
- Educational- and professional aspirations: Beginning in 2015, we collected educational- and professional aspirations of individuals at the age of fifteen (P$$YTH10-P$$YTH13).
- Module „sports“: We included the new module „sports“ for the second and last time (P15A180-P15A198).
New variables for the SHP III:
- Identity: Questions on identity and identification with different social categories were introduced (P15C160 – P15C168).
- Experiences of discrimination: The questions P15C169 – P15C177 record possible experiences of discrimination by the respondents.
- Geographical mobility: The questions P15R29-P15R33 concern the geographical mobility of the participants to practice their religious activities.
2014, wave 16
New variables in SHP I, II and III:
- Employment agency: Since 2014 we ask interviewees if they are or were registered with an employment agency and how they found their current employment (P$$W612-P$$W614).
- Nutrition: Since 2014 we ask the respondent an estimation of the healthiness of their diet (P$$C130).
- Happiness with the couple: Since 2014, all participants are asked whether they are happy with their relationship (P$$F54).
- Money management: Since 2014, we evaluate how households manage their money (H$$F76).
New variables in SHP III:
- Experiences of anomie: The questions P14P87-P14P93 capture the respondents’ experiences of anomie in society.
- Regional sense of belonging: P14P81-P14P86 measure the sense of belonging to different regional dimensions.
- Geographical mobility: Since 2014 we ask questions about geographical mobility with regard to education and gainful employment (P$$E38-P$$E42, P$$W617-P$$W621).
2013, wave 15
- Revised module „social networks“: We added information on individuals outside the household (partner, father, mother, children, siblings), the respondent’s satisfaction with these relationships, loneliness as well as social networks on the Internet (P13N04-P13N128).
- Module „sports“: The new module „sports“ assesses forms of sport, frequencies and duration of trainings, participation at competitions, with whom and where sport is practiced as well as sport behavior at the age of twelve (P15A180-P15A205).
- Renovations: Since 2013, the household questionnaire contains new questions about renovations of the households’ accommodations. We ask questions about a number of possible renovation activities, about the individuals who realized and payed those renovations as well as about the costs of these renovations (H$$H40-H$$H52). In addition, we establish whether the households live in a housing cooperative (H$$H54).
- Goods/activities: In 2013, we reviewed the list of goods and activities in the household questionnaire. In addition, the SHP III evaluates the importance of these goods and activities (H13I121-H13I135).
2012, wave 14
- Revised module „religion“: This module contains new questions about religiosity, spirituality, religious socialization and about attitudes towards different religions. For the first time, these questions make possible to capture the centrality of religions (P15R01-P15R28).
- Psychological scales: In the year 2012, questions about life satisfaction (P15C100-P15C103), sense of control (P15C104-P15C109), worries (P15C110-P15C119) and for important things in life (P15C120-P15C128) were included. In addition, we reintroduced a question from 2009 on self-perception (P15C70-P15C75).
- Wealth: In 2012 we gathered information about the household’s wealth (H12I110A, H12I110B, H12I111A, H12I111A). We employed the respective questions in 2016 for the second time.